About Me

My photo
A small town Wisconsin girl, living in New England and sharing my thoughts on this crazy, beautiful life! Welcome.

Saturday, December 20, 2014

The Six Phases of Christmas

There seem to be several steps to Christmas every year. In my family it goes a little like this:
Phase 1: "OH MY GOSH IT'S ALMOST CHRISTMAS!"
During this stage, my mom starts making gifts and compiling things for everyone she knows. I'm not exaggerating. Our dining room explodes in a bomb of wrapping paper, ribbon, glitter and sharpies. I'm always amazed because she thinks of everyone from neighbors, to relatives, to that random old man from church that we haven't seen in ten years.

Phase 2: " DECORATE EVERYTHING!!!!"
Out of the dusty basement come the boxes of stockings, ornaments, lights and the prized Christmas village. It's officially time to decorate. My sisters and I have enough energy to practically run a small country and we pump up the music, and roll out the cookie dough.There is, it seems, no limit to what we can accomplish.

Phase 3: (approximately 2 days later) "CAN WE BE DONE NOW?"
I think at some point we reach this stage, but aren't quite willing to admit it. The tree is decorated and the majority of gifts wrapped, so we're feeling pretty accomplished and now all we want to do is sleep, eat, and watch It's a Wonderful Life.

Phase 4: "NO! YOU AREN'T DONE UNTIL CHRISTMAS IS!"
The marching orders come in. Continue on. String more lights. Wrap more gifts. Bake more cookies. You want to watch a movie? That's just too bad. There are Church Windows to be made! And so, we continue on.

Phase 5: "THANK GOODNESS! IT'S FINALLY HERE!"
That glorious moment when Christmas actually arrives is one of complete bliss for children and adults alike and everyone in my family goes to Mass, comes home to eat and proceeds to fall asleep after opening presents. The hard work has paid off.

Phase 6:  (12 days later...) "CLEAN UP TIME!"
"ummmm...... what? Clean-up? What's that? Nah, I don't do that. Can't we just leave the tree up all year? "

                                                 THE END (UNTIL NEXT YEAR THAT IS)

No comments:

Post a Comment